A flashlight, or “torch” as it is commonly called, provides a beam of light on command. You can modify a normal, cheap flashlight so that the intensity of the beam is both lighter and longer life by using an LED light source. You need a few supplies from a hardware store and source delivery, but no electrical skills. The flashlight illuminates the darkness the moment you press the power button.
- Soft cloth
- 3 Watt 50 Lumens LED lamp.
- 3 watt white LED screw-in base.
- Needle nose pliers.
- Two “N” batteries.
- Tailcap switch upgrade hat.
1. Place a soft towel on a table. Unscrew the battery cover on the back end of the flashlight. Remove the battery cover. Remove the batteries from the battery compartment. Leave the battery cap in the trash. Leave the batteries correctly.
2. Removed the reflector from the front end of the flashlight. Remove the retaining ring from the forward end of the flashlight. Push the plastic lens out of the reflector with your fingers. Throw the plastic lens.
3. Remove the bulb from the front end of the keychain flashlights – see http://www.garyflashlights.com/best/keychain-flashlight/. Disposal of the bulb properly.
4. Clamp jaws needle nose pliers around the front edge of the lamp mounting the forward end of the flashlight.
5. Pull the bulb assembly from the forward end of the flashlight. Dispose of the lamp assembly.
6. Fasten the lamp in the front end of the LED screw in the bottom.
7. Insert LED screwed in the bottom of the front of the flashlight LED outwards.
8. Place the locking ring back on the front of the lamp. This reflector back in front of the lamp.
9. Insert two “N” batteries in the back end of the flashlight. Screw Tailcap switch upgrade cover on the back end of the flashlight.
10. Point the flashlight you have now made a far wall. Press the button on the back of Tailcap switch upgrade hat to illuminate the LED and project a beam of light in the far wall.
Tips & Warnings
Use the needle nose pliers to unscrew the original bulb from the flashlight if it refuses to come off.Do not handle the light on its surface, as fingerprints leave the oil degrades brightness over time.