Bujumbura, Burundi

Bujumbura, Burundi

According to abbreviationfinder, Bujumbura was the former capital of Burundi (now Economic Capital after being transferred to Gitega the Political Capital, since 16 January 2019), located on the northwestern shore of Lake Tanganyika. It is the largest city in Burundi and also the main port of the country. Bujumbura has been the scene of frequent fighting between the country’s two main ethnic groups, Hutu and Tutsi. The center of the city is a colonial town with a large market, the National Stadium, a great mosque and a cathedral. Bujumbura International Airport is located 11 km (6 miles) from the city center.

History

The city was visited by explorers David Livingstone and Henry Morton Stanley in 1871. In the early 20th century, as part of the German East African protectorate, it was a major military camp. In 1923 it was the capital of the Belgian colony of Ruanda-Urundi until 1946 when it came under international protection until its independence from Belgium. It became the capital of Burundi in 1962, when the name of Usumbura was changed to Bujumbura. Bujumbura has been the scene of frequent fighting between the country’s two main ethnic groups, the Hutu and Tutsi.

Geography

Bujumbura, is the capital of the province of Bujumbura and the main port of the provinces of Bururi and Bujumbura, is located in western Burundi, on the northeast shore of the magnificent Lake Tanganyika, which is practically the oldest and deepest lake in the world. See population of Burundi.

Economy

Among its main industrial activities are the production of cement, soap and the textile sector. It also has premises for the manufacture of material for fishing use, breweries, leather, and medicines. Fishing in the lake is another source of employment, as are the factories dedicated to coffee and fish processing.

It is the main port of the country, where almost all exports leave, among which are coffee, cotton, which is the main crop in the region, hides and brass.

Transport and communication

It is a commercial center that has a ferry service that connects it with Kigoma (Tanzania), from where goods are distributed, through the railway, to the port of Dar es-Salaam, in Tanzania. It also has an airport with international flight service

Culture

This area was colonized by Germany in the late 19th century and there is still architecture dating from that period, such as the postmaster’s house. The city center is a colonial area with a large colorful market, the national stadium, a mosque and a cathedral. You can also find interesting museums such as the Museum of Burundi Life, the Burundi Geological Museum and an Islamic cultural center.

The capital Bujumbura is characterized by its exotic gastronomy, which qualifies it as one of the candidates for the title of gastronomic capital of this area of Africa. Their food also represents a legacy from the colonial times when the Belgians ruled. One of the most consumed products is roast meat and fish from Lake Tanganyika. The local beers are Amstel and Primus. Nightlife is another attraction in this city, with the Havanna Club being one of the best-known clubs. In terms of accommodation, Bujumbura offers environments with privacy and at a low price. Some very popular hotels are the Botanika, the Residence or the Amahoro. There are even hotels on the shores of Lake Tanganyika.

Places of interest

In outlying areas, it is interesting to visit Rusizi National Park and a rock in Mugere, where David Livingstone and Henry Morton Stanley are believed to have been found (although this is thought to have happened in Tanzania) and the source of the southernmost tributary of the Nile., described locally as the source of the Nile. This capital has the most beautiful beaches on the shore of the lake. The official name is Playa de los Cocos.

The beach has ended up being privatized and divided, so each owner has named their beach sector. Due to their popularity and night getaways, Playa Saga and Playa Karera stand out.

Education

The city is the seat of the University of Burundi, created in 1960.

Bujumbura, Burundi