According to topschoolsintheusa, Des Arc, Arkansas is a small town located in the east-central part of the state, with a population of approximately 1,500 people. It is situated in the White River Valley, which provides a beautiful backdrop for the city. The climate is mostly temperate and humid with mild winters and hot summers.
The history of Des Arc dates back to the 1830s when it was founded as a trading post by William Lacy. During this time, it became an important shipping center for goods traveling up and down the White River. Later on, during the Civil War, Des Arc was occupied by Union forces and served as an important supply depot for both armies. After Reconstruction ended in 1877, the economy of Des Arc shifted from trade to agriculture and lumber production.
Today Des Arc has a strong agricultural base that supports its economy. There are also several businesses located in town providing goods and services to its citizens. The city is served by several public schools including elementary schools, middle schools, high schools and even one college campus belonging to Arkansas State University-Beebe at Des Arc.
Des Arc has quite a few landmarks that are worth visiting such as Stoney Point Battlefield Park which preserves an area where Confederate forces faced off against Union troops during the Civil War; The Old Railroad Bridge which is a historic bridge built in 1871; and The White River National Wildlife Refuge which offers visitors great opportunities for fishing, hunting and wildlife viewing. In addition to these attractions there are plenty of restaurants and shops located throughout town offering delicious food and unique gifts for visitors to take home with them.
Population: 1,933. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,821 (-5.8% change)
Males: 910 (47.1%), Females: 1,023 (52.9%)
Zip code: 72040
Median resident age: 39.9 years
Median household income: $23,750
Median house value: $49,200
Races in Des Arc:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.8%)
- Black (14.8%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (17.1%), Irish (8.7%), English (5.4%), German (3.6%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%).
Elevation: 200 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
Des Arc, Arkansas is a small city located in the eastern part of the state. The population of Des Arc is estimated to be around 1,878 people. The median age in Des Arc is 41.4 years old with a gender ratio of 51% male and 49% female. The majority of the population identifies as white, with African American and Hispanic populations making up 4.9% and 2.0% respectively.
The majority of Des Arc’s population has a high school diploma or higher, with 33.8% having a bachelor’s degree or higher. The city has an unemployment rate lower than the national average at 4%. Most residents are employed in industries such as retail trade, health care and social assistance, transportation and warehousing, educational services and construction.
The cost of living in Des Arc is much lower than the national average with an index rating of 81 out of 100 points. This makes it an attractive location for those looking for a more affordable lifestyle while still having access to amenities like shopping centers, restaurants and entertainment options. Additionally, there are several parks located within the city limits for outdoor activities like hiking and fishing.
For population 25 years and over in Des Arc
- High school or higher: 60.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Des Arc city
- Never married: 22.6%
- Now married: 53.1%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 12.8%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -107 (-5.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Des Arc:
- CENTRAL ARKANSAS HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; SEARCY, AR)
- WHITE COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; SEARCY, AR)
- STUTTGART REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 35 miles; STUTTGART, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Des Arc:
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 45 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: LRF)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 53 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 107 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Abbreviation: MEM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Des Arc:
- HAZEN MUNI (about 18 miles; HAZEN, AR; Abbreviation: 6M0)
- CARLISLE MUNI (about 19 miles; CARLISLE, AR; Abbreviation: 4M3)
- SEARCY MUNI (about 23 miles; SEARCY, AR; Abbreviation: SRC)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Des Arc:
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; SEARCY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,959)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 30 miles; BEEBE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,840)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 59 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS (about 60 miles; CONWAY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 7,693)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK (about 61 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,024)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 83 miles; STATE UNIVERSITY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,696)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 98 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
Public high school in Des Arc:
- DES ARC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 326; Location: 620 MAIN STREET; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Des Arc:
- DES ARC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 330; Location: HAMILTON STREET; Grades: PK – 06)