Seychelles Market Entry
- Market entry
- Forms and conditions of operation on the market
- Marketing and Communications
- Issues of intellectual property protection
- Public procurement market
- Payment terms, payment ethics and resolution of commercial disputes
- Visas, fees, specific conditions of travel to the territory
- Employment of citizens from the Czech Republic
- Fairs and events
Due to the limited capacity of the market, imports are carried out directly, or through state organizations established for this purpose:
Seychelles Investment Board: www.sib.gov.sc
Financial Services Authority Seychelles: www.fsaseychelles.sc
An import permit from the Ministry of Finance must be granted for any import. Required documents:
- bill of lading – 2x original + copy
- confirmation for express release of goods (e.g. in the case of food)
- certificate of origin and value of goods – for customs purposes in cases where preferential treatment can be applied – 2x
- phytosanitary certificates – in the case of plants, seeds, potatoes, fruit, etc.
- a veterinary certificate and possibly a health certificate – in the case of animals and their products
- for whiskey imports, a certificate of the age of the drink (min. 3 years)
- CITES certificate – in the case of trade with protected species of animals and plants
- EC form for exporters from ACP countries
- EUR 1 form – especially if the goods are sent back to the EU after processing
- commercial invoice A with a clause that the given details are true – 3x
Apart from ordinary goods, there are two lists for customs purposes (prohibited and restricted):
- prohibited (import only in certain cases and under special conditions): assault weapons and ammunition, endangered animal species, fluorochlorocarbon, radioactive substances, drugs, currency, pornography, left-hand drive cars, toxic chemicals, waste
- restricted (requires permission from Dept. of Finance, Licensing Dept.): plants, animals, fruits and vegetables, fish, dangerous chemicals, explosives, automobiles, ships, aircraft, pharmaceuticals, radio communication equipment, glass windows and doors, alcohol, tobacco
The customs system is based on HS 2007 and the CIF price of Seychelles. A preferential tariff system applies to the EU and COMESA. Goods are classified according to need into categories, where food and commodities of basic needs fall under the competence of the state organization Seychelles Marketing Board. Check smber for agriculture and fishing facts of Seychelles.
Forms and conditions of operation on the market
All business requires registration. According to the Companies Act, which is based on the English Companies Act, the following types of companies can be established:
- sole proprietorship (under own name)
- public trading company (Partnership)
- joint stock company (Proprietary Company)
- Limited Company
Information on requirements for foreigners wishing to set up a company in Seychelles, basic steps, required documents, taxation, restrictions and benefits is available at www.companyformationseychelles.com.
Marketing and communication
Promotion in the mass media, especially in the press, is common. The appropriate language version of promotional materials is English, or French.
It is common practice to organize outbound events from Seychelles to specialized trade fairs abroad.
Issues of intellectual property protection
Intellectual property protection in the European sense does not exist in Seychelles. However, the theft of technological software applications as well as the circumvention of patent rights, which could threaten Czech partners the most, reflect on the country’s technological culture.
Public procurement market
Public contracts are awarded in the form of tenders from the Ministry of Finance. Tenders are usually published in the press. However, the deadlines for submitting bids are very short, so as a rule, only those companies that are physically present at the location or have their representatives can participate in the tender procedure.
In the case of tenders that are financed by banks or agencies where the Czech Republic is not a member (e.g. African Development Bank – AfDB), it is necessary for the Czech supplier to use a company based in a country that is a member country of the given bank (agency) for its offer.
Information on published tenders can be obtained on paid internet portals (e.g. www.africagateway.info, www.dgmarket.com, etc.).
Payment terms, payment ethics and resolution of commercial disputes
The risks can be considered the difficult availability of the necessary information, ignorance of the environment (customs, taxes), the difficulty of establishing contact with distributors, the weak purchasing power of the population, the use of French.
Commercial law is based on English law. Czech entities are not advised to enter into disputes with local partners. An out-of-court settlement tends to be more appropriate and less financially demanding as a result.
Within the African region, Seychelles is rated as a country with lower risks. The usual payment condition, especially for the first deliveries to new partners, is an irrevocable letter of credit, opened with a reputable bank. From this payment condition, you can gradually switch to payment against documents.
Visas, fees, specific conditions for traveling to the territory
The visa is issued in the passport directly at the airport in Victoria in the form of a stamp, which is also an entry stamp. However, a written confirmation of accommodation (with contact to the accommodation provider) and a return ticket is strictly required. Without these documents, there is a risk of being denied entry into the country (including holders of diplomatic passports). When arriving in Seychelles from areas where yellow fever occurs, for example from Africa, vaccination confirmation in the International Vaccination Card is required. This is checked rigorously at the airport in Victoria. Vaccination against viral hepatitis A, typhoid and poliomyelitis is recommended and at the traveler’s consideration. The average air temperature is 29 °C.
Increased night-time crime on wealthy Seychellois citizens (robbery of villas) has been indicated. The country is otherwise considered safe for tourists.
In the case of a longer stay and more business meetings, or with the aim of getting to know the main island of Mahé, it is possible to rent a small car upon arrival directly at the airport in Victoria in the range of 40 to 50 EUR/day. A driver’s license must be presented when signing the contract. Drive on the left on the roads.
Employment of citizens from the Czech Republic
Foreigners need a work permit for their activity – the so-called Gainfull Occupation Permit, which is issued by the Department of Internal Affairs, Immigration Division. Simple labor law applies to the employment of local forces. It is recommended to conclude a regular employment contract, which is the basis for court proceedings in the event of an employment-law dispute. For more info see the government portal www.egov.sc.
Local healthcare is at a good level. If necessary, you can contact the Honorary Consul of the Czech Republic and the head nurse of the Victoria Hospital, Mrs. Sabina Panovská (tel.: +248 258 7620).
A vaccination certificate is required when arriving in Seychelles from yellow fever areas. Vaccination against viral hepatitis A, typhoid and poliomyelitis is also recommended. According to the “Travel Medicine Lexicon”, malaria and schistosomiasis do not occur here. There are advertisements on Mahé urging the prevention of dengue fever.
Hospital: Victoria Hospital, phone: +248 438 8000
Anse Royale Hospital, phone: +248 437 122
Fairs and events
Seychelles does not currently host major international fairs and events.