Why so much fuss about these LED bulbs? In the previous article we met with 5 things you need to know about LED lighting and bulbs, in particular. In this article we will try to supplement and enrich your knowledge of this advanced technology.
The Advantages of LED bulbs
Not accidentally LED lighting gets much attention from the press in recent times. The technology itself is old, but its development for domestic applications developed rapidly only in the last decade, and results in not late. Many developed countries have set up strategies to increase energy efficiency of their economies including the imposition of LED technology in their plans. But what prompted countries like USA, Japan or the European Union to bet on LED lighting?
• Fixed – LED bulbs last up to 10 times longer than compact fluorescent lamps and much longer than conventional incandescent bulbs.
• Durable – since LEDs do not have a filament, they do not burn as fast as conventional bulbs. In addition, LED bulbs are durable and withstand the shocks.
• Do not heat – these bulbs do not cause a rise in temperature of the room, which illuminate. LED bulbs produce 3,4 BTU’s / hr compared to 85 for incandescent bulbs.
• More efficient – LED bulbs use only 2 -17 watts of electricity (from 1/3 to 1/30 of the energy needed to fluorescent and incandescent bulbs). LED bulb used for domestic lighting saves electricity remain cool and save money on replacement costs since last much longer like Dimmable LED lights covered on LEDbulbbay.
Today the most common and used are LED bulbs emitting white light. They come in two versions – emitting “hot” and “cold” light. But LEDs have covered a wide range of colors and can be used both for making light bulbs and for special purposes.
• Red – the color red is used to make a night vision devices. Headlamps and flashlights have the option to switch to the red light and can be used at night.
• Green – this is the preferred color of pilots and military personnel. The green color is also used for night vision.
• Blue – this color is not visually demanding. LED bulb of this color are very suitable for reading especially for older people. Research and tests have shown that elderly people can read for hours without symptoms of fatigue and eye strain.
How could we miss this very important aspect. Not because we love the terminology. Rather, it is boring, but in this case it is useful for understanding basic terms, will choose easier LED bulbs for your home.
• a CRI (Colour rendering index) – this parameter measures the quality and extent of compliance with the natural color of the body. The ideal indicator of CRI, which is to close some incandescent bulbs is 100. LED bulbs range from 75 to 90 on this indicator.
• CCT can (Color temperature) – a unit of measurement that describes the relative “color” of the light source. It indicates whether the source appears more yellow / gold / orange or more blue, in terms of the range of shades of white. It is measured in kelvins (unit of absolute temperature). 2700K is a “warm” light, 5000K – “cold”. Usually the lighting in the home is “warm” – 2700 – 2800K.
• Lumen – a unit that takes into account the amount of light emitted from the light source. The more lumens, the more bright light. Lumen can be used to compare the brightness of each bulb, regardless of the technology – LED, incandescent or energy saving.
• Luminous flux – the flow of light is measured in lumens. In bulbs this magnitude measures the amount of light that it can produce. Depending on how to use much of the light generated by the incandescent bulb is wasted because it disperses in all directions. LED bulbs emit directional light that is not diffused and focused exactly where you need.
|Type of Product||Light efficiency (lm / W)|
|LED bulb (warm white light)||94|
|LED spot Light (warm white light)||78|
|LED cigars 1’x4′ (warm white light)||118|
|LED high / low-bay fixture (warm white light)||119|
|HID lamp (high power)||115|
|LFL fluorescent system||108|
|HID (low power)||104|
|Compact fluorescent lamp||73|
Kinds of LED Bulbs
- LED Bulbs for E27 and E14- sockets (sold and adapters), almost all brands produce such – they can find models with the ralichni forms, degrees of protection type of light bulbs dimming, RGB and others.
- LED downlights – used mainly for interior lighting of homes and recently become very popular. I encourage you to target moons COB (chip-on-board) – they use multiple microscopic collected diodes in a single chip – this allows very high efficiency (more than 110lm / w), and a very good reliability.
- LED spots – the type of body – GU4, GU8, GU10, MR16, MR11 and other less common models. They are also called “LED spotlights” because in effect LED Moon with smaller sizes. Often installed a few in line form or another, to highlight certain interior detail and achieve a good aesthetic effect. The market will find LED COB spots, but unfortunately to date are relatively rare.
- LED cigars – designed to replace fluorescent lamps, these LED lamps are available in 8 and 16 watts, which replace the traditional 25-watt and 40-watt fluorescent tubes.
How to Select the Appropriate LED Bulbs for Home
When you buy bulbs for home, always look for producing more light but consuming less energy. Start using lumens as a measure of the efficiency of light bulbs for home lighting. If you are headed to LED bulbs, here’s what you should have in mind in the selection process:
• Select the desired brightness – read the package to select desired brightness level. You can use power than knowing that an incandescent bulb produces 15 lumens than one watt. That is to change your 60-watt light bulb in the kitchen you need from an LED one that produces 15 x 60 = 900 lumens. The good news is that LED bulbs produce 90+ lumens than one watt and record holds one of the last bulbs by Phillips with an impressive 200 lumens than one watt.
• Choose between “hot” and “cold” light – depending on the purpose can select “cold” white glowing light bulb if you will use it in the office or “warm” white light if you want to install it in the living room, for example.
• Dimming or ordinary – pretty models LED bulbs also work with dimeri- take advantage!
• Bet quality – look for ice bulbs from leading brands such as Cree, Samsung and a Phillips. Do not be fooled to buy the cheapest possible LED Bulbs or expect defects and burnt bulbs on the first week.
$44 LED headlight conversion kit is the ultimate upgrade …
Everything you need to know about Switching to LED …
Everything You Need to Know About Synthetic Diamonds
Philips Hue — Everything you need to know!
Fluorescent Lighting: T5 Fluorescent Light Fixtures 4 Lamp …
Light Bulb Lineup: Comparing Incandescent Bulbs with CFLs …
Auto Light Bulb Cross Reference
Hue can do…Part 1: How to sync Philips Hue to your …
Lights.com | Lit Decor | Flameless Candles
Smart Weather Lamp
10 things to know about Led outdoor soffit lighting …
How to Build a DIY Tracing Light Box
Install H1 H7 LED Headlight Bulbs, You May Need Adapters …
Everything You Need to Know About Dusk-To-Dawn Flood …
LED Down Lights & Ceiling Lights
10 Best Led Headlight
Energy Efficiency of Light Bulbs Gold Coast Tradesmen